The ketogenic diet has shown promise with a range of neurological disorders, including autism. So, what is autism? What does the research say about keto for autism?
What is Autism?
Autism spectrum disorders (ASD) is a complex neurodevelopmental condition associated with brain development. Spectrum refers to the wide range of symptoms and severity. Autism ranges from high functioning to severe.
Autism typically starts in early childhood and impacts the socialization with and perceptions of others, often leading to issues with communication and interactions. Autism is characterized by verbal and non-verbal communication, abnormal social interaction,
and limited interest in the surrounding environment    .
Autism doesn’t have a single known cause. Genetics and environmental factors might be involved, such as:
- Tumors developing in the brain
- Being male
- Certain biochemical changes
- Neurometabolic and mitochondrial dysfunctions
- Having a family history
- Having certain other medical conditions, such as tuberous sclerosis
- Preterm babies (born before 26 weeks)