Potassium is a mineral that’s essential for your body to function properly. So, what are the risks of potassium deficiency? What are the benefits of consuming potassium-rich foods? Where can you find the best keto-friendly food sources of potassium?
What is Potassium?
Potassium is a type of electrolyte that assists with nerve functioning and muscle contraction. It also helps move nutrients into cells and waste products out of your cells .
Potassium is highly reactive in water and produces positively charged ions when dissolved in water. This allows potassium to conduct electricity, which is important for bodily processes, such as fluid balance and nerve signaling.
An estimated 98% of the potassium in your body is found in your cells. Around 80% of the potassium in your cells is present in your muscle cells. The other 20% can be found in your liver, red blood cells, and bones .
What are the Health Benefits of a Potassium on Keto?
Having plenty of potassium in your keto diet is associated with various health benefits, such as:
Over 98% of Americans don’t meet the US recommendations for potassium .
Potassium deficiencies usually happen when the body suddenly loses too much potassium. For example, chronic vomiting or diarrhea, excess sweating, or certain situations involving rapid water or blood loss can lead to potassium deficiency. Less commonly, it’s the result of low potassium intake.
You’re considered potassium deficient if you have a blood potassium level below 3.5 mmol per liter . The signs of potassium deficiency include:
Weakness and fatigue
Muscle cramps and spasms
Tingling and numbness (usually in the extremities)
On the other hand, consuming too much potassium is rare, and it’s typically the result of taking too many potassium supplements. Individuals suffering from poor kidney function or chronic kidney disease might also deal with excess blood potassium (when the body can’t remove the mineral through urine) .
Steph Green is a content writer specializing in and passionate about healthcare, wellness, and nutrition. Steph has worked with marketing agencies, written medical books for doctors like ‘Untangling the Web of Dysfunction,’ and her poetry book ‘Words that Might Mean Something.’ In 2016, after four years of struggling with her own health problems and painful autoimmune disease, Steph developed a life-changing and extensive knowledge of keto, nutrition, and natural medicine. She continues on her healing journey and enjoys helping others along the way.
As a Member, you get instant access to personalized meal plans, exclusive videos & articles, discounts, a 1 on 1 Coaching Session, and so much more. As a member, you join our mission of empowering 1,000,000 people to positively change their lives throughout the world. Get started today.