3. Keto-Compliant Condiments!
Choose condiments wisely because most fast-food condiments are loaded with sugar or high-fructose corn syrup. You’re pretty safe, however, if you stick with the following options:
- Mayonnaise (0 grams of carbs)
- Mustard (0 grams carbs)
- Tartar sauce (1-gram carbs)
- Big Mac Sauce (2 grams carbs)
- Spicy Buffalo Sauce (1-gram carbs)
- Creamy Ranch Sauce (1-gram carbs)
- Signature Sauce (3 grams carbs)
Tip: The Habanero Ranch Sauce has 5 grams of carbs, and the Honey Mustard Sauce has 6 grams of carbs, which might be more carbs than you want in a sauce. The Sweet ‘n’ Sour Sauce and the Tangy BBQ Sauce are too high for keto with 11 grams of carbs. That’s a lot of carbs to use on a little sauce!
4. Salads, Sides, and Dressings!
A side salad works perfectly on keto, just be sure to choose a keto-approved dressing. Most McDonalds’ dressings aren’t suitable, other than the Low-Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing (4 grams carbs) that might be okay for some keto dieters.
Here are the carb counts for some of the McDonald’s salad dressings:
- Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing (4 grams carbs)
- Low-Fat Italian Dressing (8 grams carbs)
- Ranch Dressing (11 grams carbs)
- Creamy Southwest Dressing (12 grams carbs)
Tip: Instead of these dressings, you could choose a dipping sauce, such as a ranch dipping sauce with only 1 gram of carbs.
You could even mix the Creamy Ranch Sauce (1-gram carbs) with the Spicy Buffalo Sauce (1-gram carbs) for your salad dressing. In some circumstances, you could bring a ready-made dressing or olive oil packets and a little salt and pepper.
Ask for a lemon wedge to complete your dressing and add flavor to your salad.
A side salad with no dressing at McDonald’s is around 2 grams of net carbs, and a Bacon Ranch Grilled Chicken Salad with no dressing is around 6 grams of net carbs. Add guacamole for more fat in your salad!
You’re limited when it comes to side items at McDonald’s. While apples aren’t typically considered a keto-friendly fruit, some keto dieters might choose a side of apple slices with 4 grams of carbs.
Stick with a low- or no-sugar beverage like water, diet soda, or unsweetened iced tea. You’d be surprised by the carb count in some of the sugar-free iced coffees, such as:
- Small Iced Coffee, Sugar-Free Vanilla (8 grams carbs)
- Medium Iced Coffee, Sugar-Free Vanilla (11 grams carbs)
- Large Iced Coffee, Sugar-Free Vanilla (16 grams carbs)
You could keep a keto-friendly sweetener like Stevia in your car or bag to sweeten your beverage without boosting the carb count.
*Nutrition Information from McDonald’s Website
How Do You Stay Keto at McDonalds and Other Fast-Food Restaurants?
What are your top tips for staying keto at McDonalds and other fast-food favorites?